This FFmeeting was hosted on irc://irc.freenode.net/ffmpeg-meeting on January 11, 2014, at 16 UTC.
- technical issues, TODOs, long term projects
- crowdfunding, donation system improvements, merchandising etc.
- development task proposals
Full meeting log
**** BEGIN LOGGING AT Sat Jan 11 14:53:47 2014 Jan 11 14:53:47 * Now talking on #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 14:53:48 * cameron.freenode.net sets mode +n #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 14:53:48 * cameron.freenode.net sets mode +s #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 14:55:26 * BBB (~rbultje <at> abraxo.bluebottle.net.au) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 14:58:54 * Compn (~notabot <at> 18.104.22.168) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 14:59:02 <Compn> how many hours til it starts again ? Jan 11 15:01:32 * ubitux (~ux <at> did75-21-88-189-231-41.fbx.proxad.net) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:08:22 * michaelni (~michael <at> chello084114129144.4.15.vie.surfer.at) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:12:26 <michaelni> saste, do we have some list of topics for the meeting today ? if so maybe link to it in the /topic Jan 11 15:31:31 * easyfab (~chatzilla <at> 213-245-142-93.rev.numericable.fr) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:31:39 * easyfab (~chatzilla <at> 213-245-142-93.rev.numericable.fr) has left #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:34:24 * easyfab (~chatzilla <at> 213-245-142-93.rev.numericable.fr) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:35:36 * kriegerod (~krieger <at> vpk-vityaz.od.ua) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:35:41 * beastd (~Akero7 <at> p5B06F187.dip0.t-ipconnect.de) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:36:08 <beastd> hi all. sorry i misremembered the time to be an hour later :( Jan 11 15:40:09 * wm4 (~wm4 <at> ip-static-94-242-209-206.as5577.net) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:42:12 * nevcairiel (quassel <at> WoWUIDev/WoWAce/Ace3/nevcairiel) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:42:31 <michaelni> saste, please add "this channel is publically logged in the topic" to the topic, i think IIRC thats supposed to be there for such channels Jan 11 15:42:52 <michaelni> s/ in the topic// Jan 11 15:43:14 * kurosu_ (5545746f <at> gateway/web/freenode/ip.22.214.171.124) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:49:43 * cbsrobot_ (~cbsrobot <at> 126.96.36.199) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 15:49:49 * cbsrobot_ has quit (Client Quit) Jan 11 15:50:11 * cbsrobot_ (~cbsrobot <at> 188.8.131.52) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:07:41 * saste has changed the topic to: The meeting will begin at 16 UTC - this channel is publically logged Jan 11 16:07:59 <saste> michaelni, done Jan 11 16:08:26 <michaelni> thx Jan 11 16:17:08 * Topic for #ffmpeg-meeting is: The meeting will begin at 16 UTC - this channel is publically logged Jan 11 16:17:08 * Topic for #ffmpeg-meeting set by saste!~saste___ <at> dynamic-adsl-78-15-163-248.clienti.tiscali.it at Sat Jan 11 16:07:41 2014 Jan 11 16:17:17 * smarter (~smarter <at> ubuntu/member/smarter) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:18:14 * saste has changed the topic to: The meeting will begin at 16 UTC - Topics: http://paste.org/69739 - This channel is publically logged, the log will be published on ffmpeg-devel Jan 11 16:31:08 * kurosu_ has quit (Quit: Page closed) Jan 11 16:49:23 * Cigaes (cigaes <at> ssecem.salle-s.org) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:50:12 * Timothy_Gu (~Timothy_G <at> ip70-187-186-217.oc.oc.cox.net) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:53:08 * Eventh- (5f22de4b <at> gateway/web/freenode/ip.184.108.40.206) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:54:31 <saste> 5 minutes to go Jan 11 16:58:26 * rmklp (~krueger <at> ip-178-200-241-251.unitymediagroup.de) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 16:59:43 * pross-au (~xbmc <at> c114-76-138-51.sunsh2.vic.optusnet.com.au) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 17:00:53 * j-b (~jb <at> videolan/developer/j-b) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 17:02:17 <saste> hi all, thanks for joining Jan 11 17:02:25 <saste> i think it is time to start Jan 11 17:02:52 <saste> you can find the list of topics here: http://paste.org/69739 Jan 11 17:03:16 <saste> first topic: 1. technical issues, TODOs, long term projects Jan 11 17:03:30 <saste> who wants to start? Jan 11 17:05:18 <kriegerod> maybe the one who added this item to list? Jan 11 17:05:51 <saste> i have a list of topics left from the previous meeting, nothing specifically i want to discuss Jan 11 17:06:12 <kriegerod> seems others are idle, too Jan 11 17:06:14 <pross-au> re long term stuff. are there any such projects active atm? Jan 11 17:06:17 <saste> there were some devs who wanted to talk about some technical issues, but i think they are missing Jan 11 17:06:31 <michaelni> i wanted to ask beastd& lou about the status of backups (i think thats technical Jan 11 17:06:36 <michaelni> but lou isnt here Jan 11 17:06:36 <saste> from the list in the previous meeting: Jan 11 17:06:40 <saste> 1. mpegts/H.264 muxing/timestamp issues Jan 11 17:06:54 <saste> 2. playlist design issues and issues related to chained muxers option passing Jan 11 17:07:04 <saste> 3. ffserver generic issues Jan 11 17:07:17 <saste> 4. ffserver RTMP/HLS missing output support Jan 11 17:07:26 <saste> btw anyone interested in working with ffserver? Jan 11 17:07:52 <wm4> I thought everyone hated ffserver and wanted to remove it Jan 11 17:08:13 <michaelni> i like ffserver but my todo is too long to really work on it Jan 11 17:08:20 <saste> i did some documentation/cleanup work on ffserver, it's not as bad as I thought Jan 11 17:08:24 <Cigaes> ffserver is useful. Removing something useful just because nobody wants to maintain it is not something to do. Jan 11 17:08:36 <saste> most open tickets can be easily reproduced Jan 11 17:08:42 <wm4> then it'll have to continue sucking, I guess Jan 11 17:08:46 <kriegerod> i could, but cannot afford doing anything such unpaid Jan 11 17:09:10 <saste> the network problem I talkled about on list, I couldn't still resolve it Jan 11 17:09:28 <ubitux> i'd like to know what's going on with fate btw Jan 11 17:09:38 <ubitux> didn't someone planed some stuff about it? Jan 11 17:09:40 <saste> ffserver could be the object of some crowdfunding campaign, we can talk about it later Jan 11 17:09:52 <saste> ubitux, what's the problem with fate? Jan 11 17:10:20 <ubitux> i remember michaelni wanting someone to maintain it/upgrade our fate Jan 11 17:10:32 <ubitux> maybe related to recent security issues Jan 11 17:10:39 <saste> is baptiste still maintaining fate? Jan 11 17:10:58 * saste knows nothing about the recent security issues Jan 11 17:11:17 <michaelni> cross site scripting, no real issue AFAIK Jan 11 17:11:24 <saste> any news about the re-styling burek was working on? Jan 11 17:12:19 <michaelni> but even if its not a real issue a volunteer to maintain the fateserver code would be great to have Jan 11 17:12:31 <saste> michaelni, what needs to be done? Jan 11 17:12:45 <saste> in other words, what the volunteer is supposed to do specifically? Jan 11 17:13:05 <michaelni> update it to the latest of mans code and have time to fix&debug any thing that goes wrong Jan 11 17:13:22 <saste> any taker? Jan 11 17:13:23 <michaelni> and then if the cross site scripting issue is still there, fix it Jan 11 17:15:38 <michaelni> "fix&debug any thing that goes wrong" == "anything that goes wrong because of the update" Jan 11 17:16:08 <saste> michaelni, where the fate source code can be found? Jan 11 17:16:27 <saste> should we advertise it on the website/download page? Jan 11 17:16:59 <michaelni> ours at https://github.com/ffmpeg/fateserver / git://git.ffmpeg.org/fateserver Jan 11 17:17:17 <saste> is it listed on the download page? Jan 11 17:17:17 <Compn> ask mans if you link to mans' repo of course Jan 11 17:18:11 <michaelni> saste, seems not listed Jan 11 17:18:17 <Compn> it would also be neat if we added the ffmpeg header page to fate page, if possible Jan 11 17:18:26 <Compn> so people can get back to ffmpeg homepage? maybe? Jan 11 17:18:30 <saste> nor could i find the link in doc/fate.texi Jan 11 17:18:49 <saste> Compn, yes Jan 11 17:18:51 <michaelni> does someone take notes of these todo things ? Jan 11 17:19:12 <saste> currently the FATE interface is rather "spartan" Jan 11 17:19:30 <saste> michaelni, we have a TODO file and trac Jan 11 17:19:48 <saste> no TODO was killed IIRC Jan 11 17:20:17 <michaelni> i meant someone should make a list of todo items from this meeting, maybe open trac tickets for each Jan 11 17:21:29 <saste> michaelni, i can send a patch to add FATE source repo to the download page Jan 11 17:21:54 <saste> anyway, so far for point 1. technical issues, TODOs, long term projects Jan 11 17:22:10 <beastd> TODO file inside source repo is often not useful in my experience. tracking things in one or more tickets usually works better. Jan 11 17:22:13 <michaelni> saste, ok for patch Jan 11 17:22:28 <saste> anyone wants to discuss his TODO/long term projects? Jan 11 17:22:47 <saste> beastd, TODO was removed for that reason indeed Jan 11 17:23:01 <Cigaes> beastd: I agree, but there should be a link to "all open TODO tickets" easily accessible, for anyone wanting to work on something. Jan 11 17:23:26 <saste> Cigaes, TODO list = enhancements? Jan 11 17:23:28 <beastd> Cigaes: that should be done with a report Jan 11 17:23:49 <saste> BTW there is a reason for the "wish" priority on trac? Jan 11 17:24:18 <saste> I don't think "wish" is a priority", anyway that's not a very important issue and should probably not discussed here Jan 11 17:24:48 <Cigaes> saste: yes, something like that. But possibly only enhancements deemed worthy enough by... enough competent people. Jan 11 17:25:13 <saste> anyway i'd prefer to remove that priority level (indeed an enhancement can have several priority levels) Jan 11 17:25:42 <michaelni> we could add a todo keyword for these and a report for tickets with that keyword could be linke dto Jan 11 17:26:08 <saste> Cigaes, enhancements tickets can be reviewed and edited by competent developers Jan 11 17:26:11 <Compn> michaelni : after the meeting we will collect ideas and make bug reports, yes Jan 11 17:26:17 <kriegerod> a list of all unresolved tickets can be considered a TODO Jan 11 17:26:29 * Compn backlogged Jan 11 17:26:45 <kriegerod> what's strict criteria for inclusion of ticket to TODO category? Jan 11 17:27:00 <saste> any ticket is a TODO Jan 11 17:27:04 <kriegerod> project infracstructure related? Jan 11 17:27:04 <Compn> do we need strict criteria ? :P Jan 11 17:27:15 <saste> but there are some tickets which are more important than others Jan 11 17:27:31 <saste> "todo" as a tag is misleading imo Jan 11 17:27:42 <kriegerod> ok, so TODO = critical level tickets Jan 11 17:27:56 <Cigaes> saste: there are also tickets that are more demanding than other. Jan 11 17:28:13 <Compn> difficulty and importance Jan 11 17:28:14 <beastd> maybe the idea from michaelni is quite pragmatic. we could tag things with todo and list all tickets tagged todo with https://trac.ffmpeg.org/tags?q=%27todo%27 Jan 11 17:28:18 * Compn runs from the bikeshed Jan 11 17:29:02 <saste> discussion slided from discussion about todos to discussion about what is "todo" ;) Jan 11 17:29:47 <beastd> yes, which ist the hardest part. but some fuzzy solution could be sufficient Jan 11 17:29:59 <Cigaes> beastd: this looks like a good solution, provided the "todo" tag is not added by a wandering user for their own whims. Jan 11 17:30:28 <michaelni> wandering users prefer to mark their tickets as critical Jan 11 17:30:32 <saste> beastd, btw what about a difficulty level or tag in trac? Jan 11 17:31:00 <saste> so wannabee ffdevs (assuming there are some) can easily spot the easy tickets to work on Jan 11 17:31:31 <michaelni> small age of a ticket might work for this too btw Jan 11 17:31:38 <michaelni> old tickets tend to be harder Jan 11 17:32:14 <kriegerod> ...or less important Jan 11 17:32:34 <michaelni> yes Jan 11 17:32:52 <saste> Cigaes, what's the status of the lavd probing API? Jan 11 17:33:24 <saste> is lukasz still working on it or is it blocked for some reason? Jan 11 17:33:38 <beastd> saste: dfficulty can be done. either we add a new custom ticket field or now with tags. we would need on a convention either way Jan 11 17:33:43 <Cigaes> saste: that was more Lukasz's work. I did not have personal communication with him. Jan 11 17:33:54 <saste> Cigaes, ok Jan 11 17:34:27 <saste> so far for what concerns point 1. technical issues, TODOs, long term projects Jan 11 17:34:38 <saste> ? Jan 11 17:35:08 <saste> do we have comments from external users? Jan 11 17:35:30 <Cigaes> I can mention the few items I have in my personal TODO list, if anyone is interested. Jan 11 17:35:38 <saste> Cigaes, go on Jan 11 17:35:57 <Cigaes> I have started working on frame-accurate EDL. Jan 11 17:36:23 <saste> status? Jan 11 17:36:24 <Cigaes> For now, it works without threads but not at all with threads. I am a bit stuck there, but I had no time to really investigate the issue yet. Jan 11 17:37:22 <Compn> so you can seek to a frame number ? Jan 11 17:37:29 <Compn> thats a highly requested feature Jan 11 17:37:30 <ubitux> what about the subtitles charset thing? Jan 11 17:37:46 <Compn> Cigaes : even without threads support it would be useful ... Jan 11 17:37:47 <ubitux> Cigaes: i think at least wm4 holds a grudge about your plan Jan 11 17:37:57 <Cigaes> Compn: to a timestamp. But for now only in selected muxers. Jan 11 17:38:02 <Compn> ah Jan 11 17:38:28 <ubitux> in the subtitles charset project i'm mainly interested in the utf-16 supports Jan 11 17:38:33 <Cigaes> ubitux: I am still convinced that his plan do not work at all. Jan 11 17:38:35 <ubitux> i think that's what mpv is expecting the most Jan 11 17:39:00 <Compn> rather hear what vlc wants charset wise Jan 11 17:39:07 <Compn> j-b : what charsets does vlc require ? Jan 11 17:39:11 <Cigaes> ... but I am not motivated for arguing the issue. Jan 11 17:39:12 <Compn> for subs Jan 11 17:39:38 <ubitux> Cigaes: question is, do you have some WIP and plans about it? Jan 11 17:39:55 <j-b> Compn: none. We support everything. We prefer that the decoder outputs UTF-8, of course, but it does not matter. Jan 11 17:40:23 <j-b> Compn: iconv is a hard dependency of vlccore. Jan 11 17:40:23 <Cigaes> ubitux: all I have WIP was posted on the mailing-list a long time ago and buried under bikeshedding. Jan 11 17:40:49 <michaelni> Cigaes, ubitux my main concern with the "charset issue" is that it appeared deadlocked with noone working on it Jan 11 17:41:07 <ubitux> ok Jan 11 17:41:48 <michaelni> Cigaes, or said diferently it appeared IIRC that noone wanted to work on your design and you also where too busy Jan 11 17:41:55 <Cigaes> I am willing to work on it, but I can not progress if the only voice on the ML says I am doing wrong. Jan 11 17:42:43 <michaelni> its difficult for me ATM to argue about it as iam a bit unprepared and half forgot the details of the "charset issue" Jan 11 17:43:28 * cbsrobot_ has quit (Remote host closed the connection) Jan 11 17:43:53 <Cigaes> I can try to write a summary about the status of the thing on the mailing list. Jan 11 17:44:44 <saste> Cigaes, or you ping people if you need someone to review/comment on your work Jan 11 17:44:48 <saste> that sometimes work Jan 11 17:45:18 <saste> other medium/long term projects were mentioned in the previous meeting: Jan 11 17:45:20 <michaelni> what i remember and that may be unrelated actually is that i felt it would be nice if decoders/demuxers could return subtitles without knowing the charset and leaving it to players to detect/interpret the text Jan 11 17:45:24 <Cigaes> saste: I will see if there are pingable pending mails. Jan 11 17:45:32 <saste> 1. remaining mp filters port Jan 11 17:45:43 <saste> 2. language binding creation (through SWIG or similar) Jan 11 17:45:51 <michaelni> Cigaes, and yes, a summary would be nice, it would be a pitty if the thing is deadlocked in bikeshed Jan 11 17:45:52 <saste> 3. high level API creation Jan 11 17:46:03 <saste> 4. EDL support Jan 11 17:46:20 <beastd> I have another proposal for TODO Jan 11 17:47:05 <beastd> concerning ffmpeg CLI there is the frequent need to concatenate files. ffmpeg has gotten much better in doing it, but at least we lack a simple-to-use user interface. (short term the faq entry should be rewritten once more.) Long/mid term would be designing and implementing a user interface in ffmpeg to allow for easy concatenation. Jan 11 17:47:08 <Cigaes> saste: is 4 what I was talking abut a bit earlier. Jan 11 17:47:45 <michaelni> beastd, this sounds related to playlists Jan 11 17:47:49 <saste> Cigaes, yes I noticed Jan 11 17:47:56 <beastd> it is something users frequently do. a start would be someone thinking about a design and sending it as RFC to ffmpeg-devel ML Jan 11 17:48:05 <beastd> michaelni: could be related Jan 11 17:48:12 <Compn> beastd : make it as easy as multiple files with mencoder ? Jan 11 17:48:21 <michaelni> beastd, if you could specify a list of files to play then you basically have concatenation Jan 11 17:48:23 <wm4> about subtitles, yes, the only thing that's missing is utf-16 support Jan 11 17:48:32 <Compn> we need playlist support :) Jan 11 17:49:08 <ubitux> what do you mean by "playlist support"? don't we support already various playlists? Jan 11 17:49:10 <Compn> wm4 : do we have rar subs support? (playing files in rars or rar'd vobsubs) ? Jan 11 17:49:21 <wm4> no Jan 11 17:49:24 <Cigaes> Compn: we already have a lot of playlist formats support, Jan 11 17:49:24 <kriegerod> beastd, i think there's a class of existing apps that do that. Maybe we could google them up and highlight on some page? Anyway GUI tends to be standalone, that's different from "doing it by ffmpeg" Jan 11 17:49:25 <saste> about playlist, can't the concat demuxer be extended to support more playlist formats? Jan 11 17:49:37 <wm4> I know mplayer contains some extremely hideous code to invoke unrar on the fly Jan 11 17:49:38 <Cigaes> just no consistent way of validating access to other files. Jan 11 17:49:43 <Compn> saste : there was a patch in 2009 for that playlist api Jan 11 17:49:59 <saste> Compn, was that work on Anton? Jan 11 17:50:04 <Compn> no Jan 11 17:50:05 <beastd> kriegerod: true, we should look at other implementations Jan 11 17:50:06 <wm4> playlist parsers (as demuxers) would be nice Jan 11 17:50:06 <Compn> geza iirc Jan 11 17:50:10 <saste> we had a GSOC at some point, maybe it was after the fork Jan 11 17:50:13 <Compn> but i dont know who did original patch Jan 11 17:50:25 <Compn> someone said anton was working on it , but ... i dont see anything Jan 11 17:50:37 <nevcairiel> Antons GSOC was playlist support, before the fork, but it never really went anywhere :d Jan 11 17:50:53 <Cigaes> The concat demuxer can only work for files with very similar characteristics. Jan 11 17:51:12 <Cigaes> With "playlist support", users may want to mix very different files. Jan 11 17:51:26 <Compn> saste / ubitux / Cigaes : http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.ffmpeg.devel/94761 Jan 11 17:51:40 <Compn> is the patch from 2009 Jan 11 17:52:47 <ubitux> i'd better have ordered chapters in mkv… Jan 11 17:52:52 <Compn> i dont know if its the right thing. Jan 11 17:52:59 <saste> ah: ffmpeg -conc -i audio1,audio2,audio3 audiofull Jan 11 17:53:02 <Compn> right api or whatever. at least its something Jan 11 17:53:06 <j-b> I still have bounties for FFmpeg, btw, notably on DTS-HD and AAC-encoder Jan 11 17:53:12 <saste> seems what beastd was talking about Jan 11 17:53:40 <saste> about AAC encoding, any news from the epic ticket's guys? Jan 11 17:53:43 <wm4> ubitux: all what's needed is exporting the ordered chapters info Jan 11 17:53:52 <Compn> saste : well, i think beastd wants ffmpeg concat to be as easy as mencoders' multiple file support. Jan 11 17:53:59 <Cigaes> (the "-conc -i 1,3,3" syntax looks like it will lead to yet another level of escaping madness) Jan 11 17:54:00 <ubitux> wm4: don't we already? Jan 11 17:54:05 <wm4> ubitux: no Jan 11 17:54:09 <ubitux> maybe not enough information in the chapters? Jan 11 17:54:25 <wm4> I doubt it Jan 11 17:54:26 * llogan (~llogan <at> pdpc/supporter/student/pasteeater) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 17:54:33 <Compn> lou is here :) Jan 11 17:54:46 <wm4> and you need a nice/fast way to scan for segment files too Jan 11 17:54:53 <llogan> ok. now we can start.... Jan 11 17:55:05 <nevcairiel> even if the information was exported, i'm not sure you could make it play ordered chapter files seamlessly without a lot of magic in user code as well Jan 11 17:55:10 <wm4> also, what's so hard about concatenating arbitrary files? Jan 11 17:55:10 <Compn> wm4 : whats mplayer2's mkv ordered chapter support look like ? Jan 11 17:55:22 <llogan> i forgot i was -9 UTC...not -8. damn it Jan 11 17:55:27 <Cigaes> nevcairiel: can ordered chapters point to files with different codecs? Jan 11 17:55:29 <beastd> i think my concern was captured closely enough. and IIRC mencoder has a rather intuitive interface for concat but lots of other problems. anyway extending the CLI syntax can be very challenging Jan 11 17:55:31 <ubitux> wm4: AVChapter seems to have id, timestamps, and metadata Jan 11 17:55:44 <ubitux> and our mkv demuxer seems to create them Jan 11 17:55:53 <saste> beastd, mind to show an example? Jan 11 17:56:03 <nevcairiel> Cigaes: the spec doesnt necessarily disallow it, but it doesnt work in any implementation today, so... Jan 11 17:56:04 <saste> (about the mencoder syntax) Jan 11 17:56:25 <wm4> ubitux: does it export segment id? does it support editions in any way? Jan 11 17:56:26 <nevcairiel> (the "spec" really doesn't define many details about the whole process) Jan 11 17:56:44 <ubitux> wm4: i can't tell, sorry Jan 11 17:56:45 <wm4> also, ordered chapters are an abomination Jan 11 17:56:52 <wm4> (just saying) Jan 11 17:57:05 <Compn> saste : mencoder -vf scale=640:480 file1.rm file2.avi file3.mpg -oac lavc -ovc xvid -o file.avi , will make one output file , all the same resolution and codec. its very easy to hand write , no escaping command lines, no brackets or commas... Jan 11 17:57:07 <ubitux> it's somehow related to the mov edit list btw Jan 11 17:57:08 <Cigaes> nevcairiel: then it looks like what I am implementing in the concat demuxer; Jan 11 17:57:12 <nevcairiel> its not that terrible, at least it wouldnt be if it was documented somewhere Jan 11 17:57:27 <Cigaes> for now it is a proof of concept, but once it is done it can be shared with other formats. Jan 11 17:57:28 <michaelni> llogan, beastd when the concat/playlist discussion finishes, can you update us on the server backup status ? (i think we still need a system that does full backups of both our servers and each time sends on email or so to either ML or root so we notice if something makes it stop working) Jan 11 17:57:40 <nevcairiel> trying to reverse engineer how haalis thing handles certain weird files was annoying =p Jan 11 17:58:24 <wm4> Compn: yeah, I never understood why weird fragile things like the concat demuxer are needed... Jan 11 17:58:33 <Compn> right Jan 11 17:59:50 <saste> wm4, concat demuxer was needed, at least until we don't have proper playlist support Jan 11 18:00:10 <wm4> so you admit it was a hack because ffmpeg.c is too much of a hack? Jan 11 18:00:28 <beastd> Please pardon me. Will need to leave in now. Jan 11 18:00:51 <saste> wm4, it makes sense to implement it as a component for library users, not only for ffmpeg.c Jan 11 18:01:17 <wm4> I myself am annoyed that a demuxer might suddenly open random files I didn't ask it to open Jan 11 18:01:28 <wm4> it might even be a security issue Jan 11 18:01:34 <Compn> what demuxer does that wm4 ? Jan 11 18:01:41 <wm4> Compn: concat Jan 11 18:01:48 <saste> wm4, you can disable it from the build if it annoys you Jan 11 18:01:52 <Compn> i mean, how would that happen wm4 ? Jan 11 18:02:03 <kriegerod> what's wrong with concat demuxer? it does its job in specific required manner, and fits in demuxer interface. Its fragileness is consequence of its requirement to work without reencoding. Jan 11 18:02:05 <wm4> saste: can I make distros to disable it? Jan 11 18:02:31 <Compn> concat is for copying video , got it Jan 11 18:02:45 <Compn> mencoder would do it, but also would break most of the time when copying video in containers Jan 11 18:02:50 <Compn> because it wasnt precise Jan 11 18:02:50 <Cigaes> kriegerod: it still lacks a few consistency checks, like matching streams in different order from different files. Jan 11 18:03:07 * kierank (uid5955 <at> gateway/web/irccloud.com/x-ooeiaqndiqxjeuob) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 18:03:22 * pross-au has quit (Quit: Z) Jan 11 18:03:24 * beastd has quit (Quit: So many things, so little time...) Jan 11 18:03:55 <Compn> i have to go soon as well. Jan 11 18:04:35 <llogan> since trac moved remote backups are basically non-existant because, AFAIK, i do not have permissions to make the database dump and/or the daily local database dumps have not occurred last time i checked. Jan 11 18:05:13 <llogan> unfortunately, i do not have the resources to perform daily, full backups of the whole machine Jan 11 18:05:25 <michaelni> llogan, ok, tell me after the meeting what permissions you need Jan 11 18:06:03 <saste> llogan, you could run a backup script from another ffmpeg server Jan 11 18:06:51 <llogan> saste: which server? i do not think the web host has enough drive space, IIRC Jan 11 18:07:01 <michaelni> also we need full backups, my problem ironically is not that i lack diskspace or net bandwidth but iam too scetterbrained so i know i will forget doing them Jan 11 18:07:16 <saste> llogan, ok, was only an idea Jan 11 18:07:24 <saste> michaelni, script and conquer Jan 11 18:07:26 <llogan> saste: it was a good idea Jan 11 18:07:56 <llogan> michaelni: (ana)cron and rsync might be good enough. Jan 11 18:08:09 <Cigaes> llogan: what kind of rsync setup? Jan 11 18:09:46 <llogan> Cigaes: good question. daily/weekly/monthly? depends on the required complexity i guess. currently i'm doing irregular backups with duplicity. Jan 11 18:10:13 <Cigaes> llogan: I was asking more about the --delete-* kind of options. rsync alone is not suitable for a backup, Jan 11 18:10:32 <Cigaes> since it will either leave obsolete files there or delete files that may need to be restoring later. Jan 11 18:11:28 <llogan> that's one reason i am using duplicity, but rsync was just a more simple recommendation (more for the trac database file for example) Jan 11 18:12:02 * michaelni would be using tar+*zip+(gpg)+ssh Jan 11 18:12:36 <Cigaes> llogan: rsync can do the work like duplicity, provided the correct options are chosen. rsnapshot, for example, is a good script to do that. Jan 11 18:13:03 <llogan> i will unvolunteer myself from the backups. i do not have to time, resources, or experience to do an adequate job Jan 11 18:14:09 <michaelni> llogan, ok, anyone else who wants to volunteer ? Jan 11 18:14:43 <michaelni> note beastd didnt ever really volunteer, he just did some work on it ... Jan 11 18:14:49 <saste> michaelni, maybe ask on mailing-list or in private mails Jan 11 18:15:39 <saste> should we move to point 2.? Jan 11 18:15:46 <michaelni> saste, ok, ok Jan 11 18:15:57 <llogan> is trac also on a VPS or VM or something? if so can images be made too? Jan 11 18:16:23 <Cigaes> saste: before moving to point 2, I may mention a few more projects. Jan 11 18:16:34 <michaelni> llogan, trac is on a virtual machine Jan 11 18:16:36 <Cigaes> Regarding lavfi: Jan 11 18:16:43 <saste> Cigaes, sure (I'm just a bit worried that we run out of time) Jan 11 18:17:12 <Cigaes> The pull-based nature of EOF annoys me. I am thinking of adding some kind of filter_message() method along with filter_frame(), Jan 11 18:17:29 <Cigaes> to let the library process EOF and more in a push-based manner. Jan 11 18:17:46 <Cigaes> One of the benefits would be to have a timestamp for EOF, and therefore a duration for the last frame. Jan 11 18:18:02 <michaelni> saste, note for the future, if these meetings become too long, maybe they should be split in technical / non technical or something Jan 11 18:18:12 <michaelni> or maybe more frequent so theres less to discuss Jan 11 18:18:17 <Cigaes> Regarding network: Jan 11 18:18:26 <j-b> and you should use a collaborative note Jan 11 18:18:37 <saste> michaelni, probably Jan 11 18:18:52 <saste> this is the second meeting in one year Jan 11 18:18:52 <Cigaes> The recent discussion on the ML makes me want to implement some kind of global solution Jan 11 18:19:06 <Cigaes> for protocols that require subprotocols. Jan 11 18:19:12 <saste> j-b, do you suggest a specific platform/software for that? Jan 11 18:19:57 <saste> Cigaes, about EOF in lavfi, yes although maybe mailing-list is a better place where to discuss it Jan 11 18:20:42 <Cigaes> saste: I do not want to annoy people on the mailing list with ideas that are just maturating. Jan 11 18:20:54 <Cigaes> I will post something once I have at least a proof of concept. Jan 11 18:21:08 <j-b> saste: sure, etherpad. Jan 11 18:21:17 <j-b> saste: it's live, and allows everyone to edit Jan 11 18:21:37 <saste> j-b, noted for the next time Jan 11 18:21:56 <saste> but if someone wants to create a shared document right now, he's welcome Jan 11 18:22:26 <j-b> https://etherpad.mozilla.org/MmPk7vQSVT Jan 11 18:22:26 <saste> Cigaes, ok and thanks Jan 11 18:23:16 <j-b> saste: something like that Jan 11 18:23:28 <j-b> saste: it avoids having the load on only one person Jan 11 18:24:21 <saste> j-b, thx Jan 11 18:24:54 <saste> second point: 2. crowdfunding, donation system improvements, merchandising etc. Jan 11 18:25:17 <saste> about crowdfunding, it was discussed in the previous meeting and nothing has been done in the meanwhile Jan 11 18:25:57 <saste> crowdfunding and donations can have different targets Jan 11 18:26:28 <saste> donations are for generic donations to the whole project, while crowdfunding seems more oriented for specific features development Jan 11 18:26:58 <saste> basically from what i can see we lack developers wanting to create such a project Jan 11 18:27:21 <kriegerod> which project? Jan 11 18:27:44 <michaelni> improve / maintain ffserver would be a random example :) Jan 11 18:27:52 <saste> kriegerod, ffmpeg, or a specific feature implementation project Jan 11 18:28:19 <saste> we had a few platform proposals the last time and in several discussions on m-l, irc, rl Jan 11 18:28:23 <kriegerod> well, crowdfunding is about having idea and having donated money to implement the idea Jan 11 18:28:41 <saste> kickstart, indiego, freedomsponsor and other ones i forgot about Jan 11 18:28:41 <kriegerod> when these two are there, i think it would be no problem to find implementor(s) Jan 11 18:28:54 <rmklp> I think to attract someone to pay a certain amount in a crowd-funding project a well-defined goal is crucial for the success. Jan 11 18:29:03 <saste> kriegerod, no in practice we never had volunteers for doing that Jan 11 18:29:16 <rmklp> just improving ffserver will not work IMHO Jan 11 18:29:18 <llogan> saste: there was an additional one i mentioned that gimp is/was using too but i forgot the name and i'm not at my ususal machine Jan 11 18:29:30 <kriegerod> saste: for doing what and for which amount of money? that's important Jan 11 18:29:33 <saste> what i propose is to make projects involving at least two developers Jan 11 18:29:42 <llogan> i can make a wiki page for crowdfunding ideas if that could be useful Jan 11 18:29:53 <saste> i'd like to do that for implementing DVD reading support, and/or high-level scripting Jan 11 18:30:02 <michaelni> rmklp, maybe "fix all ffserver bugs that where on trac at date X" Jan 11 18:30:13 <saste> the principle is that i don't find enough motivation if i have to do it alone, but i could if i have a partner for it Jan 11 18:30:23 <saste> it should also be more fun for the involved developers Jan 11 18:30:48 <llogan> something along the lines of rht GSoC ideas page might be helpful. Jan 11 18:30:55 <saste> if we manage to find volunteers for this, then we may create a page on the website listing the on-going projects Jan 11 18:30:58 <llogan> s/rht/the Jan 11 18:31:22 <wm4> how do you plan to handle DVD reading technically? Jan 11 18:31:35 <wm4> or maybe that's offtopic right now Jan 11 18:31:54 <saste> wm4, I did some work about it, but it was not still working Jan 11 18:31:54 <rmklp> michaelni: probably. I don't know how many companies use ffserver commercially, though. Jan 11 18:32:27 <saste> it was a dvd reader, i can send you the thread link later in case you're interested Jan 11 18:32:41 <wm4> somewhat Jan 11 18:32:49 <wm4> though I doubt it'll be useful for playback use Jan 11 18:33:07 <saste> wm4, main objective and target would be backup transcoding of DVD Jan 11 18:33:37 <rmklp> michaelni: If the goal is to raise money then there are probably projects that would attract more companies (aac encoder, fast j2k encoder to name two which I guess there will be interest for) Jan 11 18:34:06 <llogan> RFC for crowdfunding ideas on -devel might get the ball rolling Jan 11 18:34:32 <saste> rmklp, the problem is that usually a single company is not willing to sponsor the whole project Jan 11 18:34:41 <llogan> or maybe j-b can describe their process/experience Jan 11 18:35:08 <rmklp> saste: yes, of course. I thought we are talking about crowd funding. Jan 11 18:35:26 <j-b> llogan: CrowdFunding is very hard to do for people like us Jan 11 18:35:35 <michaelni> rmklp, to raise more money making the description more spicy wth hls, rtmp, html5 should attract more interrest compared to "fixing issues" Jan 11 18:35:41 <j-b> llogan: a kind of bounty system would be more clever, IMHO Jan 11 18:35:47 <rmklp> saste: there was another crowd funding platform that I sent you an email about. one that was specialized on open source. I can'tr find it right now. Jan 11 18:36:10 <rmklp> https://www.bountysource.com/ Jan 11 18:36:14 <saste> j-b, we have a rudimental form of bounty system Jan 11 18:36:18 <llogan> j-b: your VLC metro (IIRC) project seemed fairly successful to me Jan 11 18:36:25 <saste> we add the tag "bounty" to a ticket Jan 11 18:36:33 <j-b> llogan: fairly not. Jan 11 18:36:40 <j-b> llogan: and we targetted normal users Jan 11 18:36:44 <saste> but this is not very practical/effective, if not for small projects/bugfixes Jan 11 18:36:55 <j-b> saste: this is not a correct way Jan 11 18:37:10 <saste> we need a platform to coordinate several donors Jan 11 18:37:29 <saste> assuming we have some competent developers wanting to propose a project Jan 11 18:37:32 <j-b> yes, like bountysource Jan 11 18:37:37 <rmklp> yes and at first glance bountysource looks ok Jan 11 18:37:50 <j-b> it's not proper crowdsourcing Jan 11 18:37:54 <kierank> many companies won't do bountysource in public Jan 11 18:37:56 <j-b> but it's more what you'd need Jan 11 18:38:22 <kierank> mainly because for differing reasons they need to hide they are using ffmpeg Jan 11 18:38:54 <rmklp> kierank: maybe the big ones won't but I believe small ones will and I guess there are hundreds of smaller ones building products on top of ffmpeg Jan 11 18:38:59 <kierank> and because bounties are an indeirect form of expenditure Jan 11 18:39:04 <saste> kierank, most ffmpeg users are service providers, AFAIK Jan 11 18:39:22 <kierank> yeah and they need to hide the fact that their service is a script on top of ffmpeg Jan 11 18:39:22 <saste> so the fact that they're using or contributing to ffmpeg shouldn't hurt them Jan 11 18:39:41 <llogan> i agree with kierank about many of them wanting to hide Jan 11 18:39:57 <kierank> the others (e.g BBC) need to hide for different reasons Jan 11 18:40:47 <saste> can bountysource donations be anonymous? Jan 11 18:40:47 <rmklp> I know of sponsors who explicitly want to be known as ffmpeg sponsors Jan 11 18:41:15 <saste> rmklp, we discussed about a sponsor page, still never was done Jan 11 18:41:27 <kierank> rmklp: wait for marketing to find out the new super patented technology that the company claimed to invent is just ffmpeg Jan 11 18:41:30 <saste> i guess for lack of interest/motivation/manpower/you name it Jan 11 18:41:32 <kierank> and that will get quashed easily Jan 11 18:42:44 <michaelni> saste, it seems they can be annoymous, i see a "Anonymous" at https://www.bountysource.com/fundraisers/506-help-make-zoneminder-better/backers for example Jan 11 18:43:12 <rmklp> kierank: yes those exist but e.g. at least 2, probably three of the yadif sponsors don't fall into that category. there are a number of companies who build bigger applications on top of ffmpeg and who want to be known as "fair" commercial open source users (whatever that is) Jan 11 18:43:28 <saste> rmklp: the idea was to have a sort of sponsor advertised on the website, in a "Sponsors" page or something Jan 11 18:43:30 <rmklp> and are willing to pay money Jan 11 18:43:43 <kierank> there is money available for mxf Jan 11 18:43:47 <kierank> always is... Jan 11 18:43:50 <saste> I'm not of any company willing to do that Jan 11 18:43:54 <saste> ATM Jan 11 18:44:07 <saste> indeed most donations are from private users Jan 11 18:44:13 <rmklp> you mean something along the lines of gold, silver, bronzw sponsor? Jan 11 18:44:24 <saste> rmklp, yes, kind of Jan 11 18:45:21 <rmklp> saste: IMHO the key is to give them an easy package (defined price, conditions) that they can choose. if they have to think how they can sponsor, it will probably not happen. Jan 11 18:45:42 <saste> rmklp, sure Jan 11 18:45:46 <kierank> certainly I can ask encoding.com and zencoder and probably others Jan 11 18:46:34 <rmklp> michael mentioned something from, I think, a linux distro where they had conditions for becoming a gold/silver/bronze sponsor and those were based on money and company size and I think that is a good approach. Jan 11 18:47:04 <saste> maybe something like http://xbmc.org/ Jan 11 18:47:06 <rmklp> I can talk to the companies I was in touch with for the yadif sponsoring and ask them as soon as there are conditions. Jan 11 18:47:22 <rmklp> and probably some more in the future. Jan 11 18:48:06 <saste> rmklp, yes thanks Jan 11 18:48:07 <michaelni> rmklp, i meant http://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/members / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Foundation Jan 11 18:48:17 * iive (~iive <at> unaffiliated/iive) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 18:49:10 <j-b> Sorry, to ask, but before asking for money, do you have enough people to "eat" this money? Jan 11 18:49:22 <saste> the other problem is that we don't have a formal entity representing the project, so that could be from problematic to impossible Jan 11 18:49:48 <saste> j-b, right now we got around 2500-3000$ in 1,5 years of donations from SPI Jan 11 18:49:58 <saste> we spent around 500$ Jan 11 18:50:16 <saste> so no for the moment we don't have much money need Jan 11 18:50:37 <michaelni> saste, pay new hw for all devels who need it Jan 11 18:50:38 <saste> what we could spend the money for: paying travel tickets to attend events, paying for hw Jan 11 18:51:06 <saste> also offer some opportunity to developers to pay some expenses when doing ffmpeg development Jan 11 18:51:19 <saste> but this is probably better addressed with bounties Jan 11 18:51:34 <rmklp> saste: yes, the legal entity thing is a big one and probably the most work Jan 11 18:52:00 <llogan> is fate missing any hardwares we can buy? Jan 11 18:52:36 * michaelni has stuff laying around he wanted to install fate on but didnt yet have time Jan 11 18:53:40 <saste> about donations, SPI will proably migrate to a different pay-by-credit-card system (current one if Pay&Pledge) Jan 11 18:54:06 <saste> and they're moving to have paypal support for Debian donations, if that work that will be extended to other associate projects as well Jan 11 18:54:06 <michaelni> or pay someone to update and maintain fateserver for example as a random small thing, that someone should do and that would only be a few hours work so could easily be payed for if we had a few k Jan 11 18:55:34 <kierank> I don't know if ubitux, BBB, smarter and others who write ASM would be interested in getting my AVX2 server colocated somewhere? Jan 11 18:55:49 <kierank> I have it lying around doing nothing in storage at the moment Jan 11 18:56:10 <ubitux> no particular interest myself in it right now Jan 11 18:56:22 <llogan> feel free to ask on -devel too Jan 11 18:56:27 <rmklp> saste: do you know if anyone has done research on the options regarding the legal entity thing? wasn't ffmtech founded for that purpose and would it fulfill it legally, if there were no other problems with it. Jan 11 18:57:00 <saste> rmklp, the main issue with ffmtech, apart the fork thing, was the no-profit status Jan 11 18:57:23 <saste> which was never recognized and was pending since the organization was created Jan 11 18:57:32 <saste> i don't know what's the current status Jan 11 18:57:33 <llogan> what is the status on ffmtech? does it still exist? Jan 11 18:57:56 <saste> llogan, you can check it by yourself: http://www.ffmtech.org/ Jan 11 18:58:04 <rmklp> judjing by what diego wrote to me just recently, very much so. Jan 11 18:58:05 <smarter> I'm not concerned about AVX2 yet, there's plenty to do before that :) Jan 11 18:58:37 <kierank> smarter: useful for benchmarking on modern hardware though Jan 11 18:59:17 <llogan> saste: are there any FFmpeg devs involved? Jan 11 18:59:35 <saste> llogan, reimar is still part of the board i think Jan 11 18:59:41 <rmklp> I though at least Reimar was on their board Jan 11 19:01:06 <llogan> http://ffmtech.org/board.html Jan 11 19:01:32 <llogan> shall we move on to the next topic? Jan 11 19:01:38 <rmklp> Another hypothetical question: Is there anyone interested in doing this differently, if the non-profit way does not work, i.e. found a company that offers stuff around ffmpeg, like JBoss inc. did for the jboss application server? Disclaimer: I am not interested in being part of this. I am merely listing options. Jan 11 19:02:38 <kierank> That's not easy because there's a lot of things to deal with Jan 11 19:02:38 <saste> michaelni, about small maintenance tasks, we have some donation money we could spend on that, if we have a proposal Jan 11 19:02:46 <kierank> rmklp: on site visits, patents, etc Jan 11 19:02:49 <rmklp> but may be completely not what people here want but it is a theoretical option, requiring a lot of work Jan 11 19:03:01 <rmklp> kierank: absolutely Jan 11 19:03:09 <kierank> the reality is people who choose ffmpeg do it because they have no money anyway Jan 11 19:03:18 <kierank> or are competent enough to do things themselves Jan 11 19:03:46 <rmklp> kierank: there may be some that match that description but there are others. But I don't have numbers. Jan 11 19:04:43 <rmklp> I would guess that there are a lot of api users out there who would even pay for support but of course I might be wrong. I just know I would (depending on the price). Jan 11 19:05:14 <kierank> API users are orders of magnitude lower than ffmpeg users Jan 11 19:05:31 <kierank> since it's easier to write scripts around ffmpeg than to try and understand the api Jan 11 19:05:38 <rmklp> I am not saying this would become a 500M enterprise like jboss but ffmpeg is used by a lot of companies as a library in products Jan 11 19:06:20 <rmklp> you are focusing on transcoding. there are tons of other uses of the library. Jan 11 19:06:39 <rmklp> but of course you are right. Jan 11 19:06:58 <kierank> the biggest use of ffmpeg by far is transcoding Jan 11 19:07:14 <wm4> often I think it focuses on transcoding too much... Jan 11 19:07:23 <wm4> the library, at least Jan 11 19:07:24 <kierank> direct use of ffmepg I mean Jan 11 19:07:43 <wm4> yeah, ffmpeg.c isn't much of use for other things Jan 11 19:08:32 <kriegerod> rmklp, your idea of company doing ffmpeg support is viable. I have seen there are some such companies around GStreamer, e.g. http://www.centricular.com/, also some theirs devs are at Collabora, which is a company of that sort Jan 11 19:08:53 <rmklp> yes but if you would get just 20 companies that use ffmpeg in players, analysis software etc. to pay 1000$ a year for sponsoring or a little higher priority in support, you would certainly increase the generated money considerably compared to knwo and that is not very optimistic. Jan 11 19:10:10 <rmklp> as I said, I have so far only talked to a handful of fellow companies that develop software that uses ffmpeg as a library and more than half seemed open to something like that. Jan 11 19:10:46 <kierank> the number of companies that use ffmpeg as a library is quite small imo Jan 11 19:10:53 <rmklp> but it needs a lot of work an dedication and has a lot of potential for bad things Jan 11 19:11:13 <kierank> most of the mainstream features work well Jan 11 19:11:19 <kierank> people will pay money for niche stuff Jan 11 19:11:29 <kierank> (e.g mxf) but the problem with niche stuff is there are few people to do it Jan 11 19:11:29 <michaelni> i think we should provide the option for companies who want to sponsor ffmpeg to do so Jan 11 19:11:50 <kierank> michaelni: there have to be pacakages Jan 11 19:11:59 <kierank> and some clear message as to where money is going Jan 11 19:12:02 <saste> or in alternative to pay for bounties, which would avoid the need for a formal entity/company behind it Jan 11 19:12:11 <michaelni> kierank, money goes to SPI-ffmpeg Jan 11 19:12:18 <kierank> michaelni: i mean what for Jan 11 19:12:37 <kierank> michaelni: people show this to their managers Jan 11 19:12:55 <kierank> managers don't give a shit about SPI. they care about the money going to things which help the project (hw, fate etc) Jan 11 19:13:00 <saste> michaelni, so it would be DONOR -> SPI -> CONTRIBUTOR Jan 11 19:13:19 <saste> the problem is that we need approval from the SPI treasurer Jan 11 19:13:20 <rmklp> kierank: I think I know companies who would pay just to get on the list of companies that support ffmpeg regardless of where the money goes but it is of course better to write something about that Jan 11 19:13:20 <michaelni> kierank, yes, we would need a list Jan 11 19:13:46 <michaelni> saste, can we try to pay some small development via SPI to see if this is possible or not ? Jan 11 19:13:58 <saste> michaelni, i think it is already possible Jan 11 19:14:10 <saste> but it is decided on a case-by-case basis Jan 11 19:14:19 <rmklp> by SPI Jan 11 19:14:20 <rmklp> ? Jan 11 19:14:34 <saste> SPI is a non-profit, and thus must be very careful about how the money is spent Jan 11 19:15:06 <saste> rmklp, yes, basically when we decide about a refund request, it must be approved by the SPI treasurer Jan 11 19:15:15 <saste> so we have no direct control over the donation money Jan 11 19:15:32 <rmklp> if that is only a theoretical hurdle and easy in practice, it would be a good thing. what do you think? Jan 11 19:15:56 <saste> rmklp, i think it can be done for internal developments Jan 11 19:16:30 <saste> but in case it is a company requesting some work, we can't go through SPI (in that case it would be better to use an independent bounty platform) Jan 11 19:16:56 <saste> otherwise you can't guarantee the company that the donated money will be spent for the task Jan 11 19:18:25 <rmklp> legally doing something like a bountysource project is a contract. do you know, how in the case of ffmpeg would be the parties? would have to be the individual developers who pledge to implement the feature, wouldn't it? Jan 11 19:18:38 <rmklp> s/how/who Jan 11 19:19:06 <saste> rmklp, yes, but in that case it is a matter between individual ffmpeg developers and the pledgers/donors Jan 11 19:19:15 <saste> ffmpeg as a formal entity is not involved at all Jan 11 19:19:33 <saste> indeed the developers could also not be ffmpeg developers at all Jan 11 19:20:49 <saste> about merchandising we basically have the same issues, lacking a formal entity Jan 11 19:20:55 <saste> but I might be wrong Jan 11 19:22:14 <rmklp> hypothetical example just for understanding: If I thought having a fast j2k encoder that supports a certain pixel format would be a project that could generate some money, I would try to convince someone like michael to offer that and he would say, he needed 20000 dollars for the implementation and then would open the bountysource project? Jan 11 19:22:28 <saste> rmklp, yes Jan 11 19:22:55 <saste> or the other way around, random developer propose a task, and an individual/company fund it in case of interest Jan 11 19:23:15 <rmklp> yes. Jan 11 19:24:43 <rmklp> so what is going to happen now? Someone is going to "test" paying a developer via SPI to find out if that works? What else? Is someone going to propose a sponsorship program? Jan 11 19:25:06 <saste> rmklp, this is point 3. development task proposals Jan 11 19:25:13 <saste> should we go on? Jan 11 19:25:45 <rmklp> saste: I did not understand that. how is it related to 3.? Jan 11 19:25:59 <saste> also we will probably discuss the topic on the mailing-list, to see if there are volunteers for setting up bounty projects Jan 11 19:26:14 <rmklp> ok Jan 11 19:26:30 <saste> rmklp, > Someone is going to "test" paying a developer via SPI to find out if that works? Jan 11 19:26:56 <saste> right now we have 2K$ of donated money, so maybe it is not enough for a complex project Jan 11 19:27:14 <saste> (and we should probably spend that money for other stuff, like travel refunds) Jan 11 19:27:28 <rmklp> once yadif is committed it will be a bit more Jan 11 19:28:22 <saste> but that works that a developer proposes a funded task, then it is discussed and approved on list and finally the money is sent if approved by SPI Jan 11 19:28:39 <rmklp> ok Jan 11 19:28:56 <saste> to follow that path we first need a contributor proposing the task Jan 11 19:29:54 <saste> should we skip to point 3.? Jan 11 19:31:11 <saste> so it is: 3. development task proposals Jan 11 19:31:17 <kierank> does that include gsoc? Jan 11 19:31:42 <saste> kierank, also Jan 11 19:31:57 <saste> although I mostly intended that as "funded development task proposals" Jan 11 19:32:15 <saste> about gsoc, I'm not sure we will be accepted for gsoc even this year Jan 11 19:32:40 <saste> indeed i'm not even sure it is a good idea to apply Jan 11 19:32:53 <kierank> saste: afaik google are ok with ffmpeg/libav now Jan 11 19:33:30 <saste> kierank, good to know Jan 11 19:34:42 <kriegerod> couple of days ago on maillist there was a request for DVB subtitles support. I said i'll check that, but i'm ok if anybody else takes it, or if we try this issue as a polygon to experiment with above discussed things Jan 11 19:34:56 <saste> we talked about an internal ffmpeg summer of code, but we probably lack the organization/money Jan 11 19:35:29 <saste> we could do it together with videolan if there is some interest and it's not too complicate for them Jan 11 19:35:41 <saste> kriegerod, sure Jan 11 19:35:53 <saste> about that, i also want to propose some candidate funding tasks Jan 11 19:36:09 <saste> namely: DVD reading support, and high-level scripting binding Jan 11 19:36:25 <saste> but: I only do that if I find a partner to work with me Jan 11 19:36:28 <kierank> dvd reading? Jan 11 19:36:28 <kierank> wow Jan 11 19:36:40 <kierank> someone's crazy :) Jan 11 19:37:18 <j-b> kierank: I don't know where you get this information from, tbh Jan 11 19:37:35 <kierank> j-b: mentor summit Jan 11 19:37:37 <kierank> av500 asked Jan 11 19:37:45 <kierank> VLC is not in a good position however Jan 11 19:37:46 <j-b> like they said last year Jan 11 19:37:56 <j-b> kierank: we won't apply, anyway Jan 11 19:38:12 <j-b> kierank: bored of this PC bullshit Jan 11 19:39:20 <saste> anyway, more proposals? Jan 11 19:40:01 <saste> but discussion and proposals can go on on other channels... Jan 11 19:40:39 <saste> next point? Jan 11 19:41:02 <kierank> j2k encoder is probably the only large thing missing from the pro perspective, as much as i hate j2k Jan 11 19:41:21 <saste> kierank, would you work on that? Jan 11 19:41:33 <kierank> no, don't have time Jan 11 19:41:39 <llogan> saste: i'm personally not excited about GSoC Jan 11 19:41:57 * rmklp has quit (Quit: rmklp) Jan 11 19:42:06 <saste> kierank, or can you find someone who will? Jan 11 19:42:22 <kierank> don't think so Jan 11 19:43:17 <saste> if there is not anything else we can go to the next and last point Jan 11 19:43:33 <saste> 4. miscellanea Jan 11 19:43:55 <saste> ubitux, any news about the website restyling? Jan 11 19:44:34 <ubitux> not much progress, but i'll keep you up-to-date Jan 11 19:44:51 <saste> ubitux, mh, okay Jan 11 19:44:57 <michaelni> someone should contact apple and ask them about details / bug reports of the prores issues they mentioned on that page Jan 11 19:45:10 <llogan> what's this on the web site restyling? Jan 11 19:45:55 <ubitux> llogan: http://db0.galo.pe/ffmpeg-web/htdocs/ Jan 11 19:46:11 <ubitux> "WIP" Jan 11 19:46:19 <llogan> i am unaware of any work to update the site Jan 11 19:46:21 <saste> also it would be nice if we add a goodies section Jan 11 19:46:48 <saste> with designs we collected from past logo contests Jan 11 19:46:58 <saste> i'll probably try to find some time about that Jan 11 19:47:00 <llogan> who is doing the redesign? Jan 11 19:47:12 <saste> we should also define the license of the content Jan 11 19:47:33 <saste> but if someone wants to do that he's welcome Jan 11 19:47:51 <michaelni> goodies section maybe best on the wiki so work on it can be shared with more people Jan 11 19:48:14 <saste> michaelni, that works for me as well Jan 11 19:48:29 <saste> although it would have more visibility on the official website Jan 11 19:48:38 <saste> btw what's the license of the wiki content? Jan 11 19:48:43 <saste> what if we add artwork? Jan 11 19:48:43 <michaelni> the official site could link to the wiki Jan 11 19:49:16 <llogan> The materials within the Community Contributed Documentation section of the FFmpeg Wiki are released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License. Jan 11 19:49:49 <saste> about logo contests, did we specify the required license? Jan 11 19:49:59 <ubitux> llogan: db0 on #ffmpeg-devel Jan 11 19:50:13 <saste> otherwise we'll need to get in touch directly with the various contributors Jan 11 19:50:34 <saste> also herve flores suggested to adopt a commercial license for artwork/logos Jan 11 19:50:36 <llogan> ubitux: i don't know who that is Jan 11 19:51:10 <ubitux> someone i know Jan 11 19:51:18 <ubitux> not involved in ffmpeg developement so far Jan 11 19:51:22 <ubitux> except for this Jan 11 19:52:03 <saste> other misc topics? Jan 11 19:52:09 <llogan> i don't prefer the dark look but i guess we can see how it turns out Jan 11 19:53:55 <michaelni> what shall we do with libavfilter.net, libavcodec.net, libavutil.net, libswresample.net and others ? Jan 11 19:54:08 <michaelni> we are in control of them but they cost money Jan 11 19:54:11 <llogan> saste: no specific logo license has been selected IIRC for submissions Jan 11 19:54:21 <llogan> michaelni: dump them. Jan 11 19:55:01 <saste> michaelni, same from me, if we don't have appealing reasons to keep them Jan 11 19:55:30 <saste> is someone planning to attend some FLOSS event this year? Jan 11 19:55:47 <michaelni> if noone wants to use them (for ffmpeg stuff) and noone wants to sponsor it then ill let them expire Jan 11 19:56:48 <saste> i'll probably try to attend some if we are enough to man an ffmpeg booth Jan 11 19:57:16 <saste> fosdem is probably too close, so the next viable event is probably linuxtag Jan 11 19:57:33 <llogan> i bet beastd will go to that Jan 11 19:57:38 <llogan> maybe thilo too Jan 11 19:57:42 * j-b (~jb <at> videolan/developer/j-b) has left #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 19:58:24 <saste> llogan, part of the donation money could be spent for paying (at least part) of the travel tickets Jan 11 19:59:21 <saste> if there is nothing more we can close the meeting Jan 11 20:00:06 * rmklp (~krueger <at> ip-178-200-241-251.unitymediagroup.de) has joined #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 20:00:33 <llogan> saste: thanks for organizing and herding cats Jan 11 20:00:46 <saste> michaelni, anything else? Jan 11 20:01:18 <michaelni> not really, noone wants to ask apple about the prores issues ? Jan 11 20:01:27 <Cigaes> Thanks indeed for the organization. Jan 11 20:01:37 <michaelni> saste, thx as well from me Jan 11 20:02:12 <saste> michaelni, about the prores thing, a private mail is probably better Jan 11 20:02:48 <michaelni> you volunteer to send apple a private mail ? or you mean i should ? Jan 11 20:03:19 <saste> michaelni, yes, probably doing it yourself would be faster Jan 11 20:03:39 <saste> as for me, i'm not even sure what the issues are about Jan 11 20:03:46 <michaelni> ok then Jan 11 20:04:04 <saste> then i suppose we can close the meeting Jan 11 20:04:17 <saste> thanks all for your time Jan 11 20:04:24 <Cigaes> Good bye. Jan 11 20:04:38 <saste> i'm going to send the meeting log later today Jan 11 20:05:00 <saste> (...to the ffmpeg-devel mailing list) Jan 11 20:05:12 <saste> good bye! Jan 11 20:05:49 <michaelni> good bye all, until the next meeting ... Jan 11 20:05:56 * Cigaes has quit (Quit: leaving) Jan 11 20:05:57 * michaelni (~michael <at> chello084114129144.4.15.vie.surfer.at) has left #ffmpeg-meeting ("Leaving") Jan 11 20:06:35 * ubitux (~ux <at> did75-21-88-189-231-41.fbx.proxad.net) has left #ffmpeg-meeting Jan 11 20:06:38 * llogan (~llogan <at> pdpc/supporter/student/pasteeater) has left #ffmpeg-meeting ("WeeChat 0.3.2") Jan 11 20:08:43 * wm4 (~wm4 <at> ip-static-94-242-209-206.as5577.net) has left #ffmpeg-meeting ("Leaving") **** ENDING LOGGING AT Sat Jan 11 20:14:28 2014
Last modified 9 years ago Last modified on Oct 1, 2014, 7:05:15 AM
Note: See TracWiki for help on using the wiki.